This is a small list of universities that offer courses on peace, conflict and development for anyone who is interested in studying peace; by far these are not all. Gladly the number of these types of programmes keeps increasing constantly.
Please email me if you know of any other interesting courses that should be mentioned in this list.
Universitat Jaume I, International Master in Peace, Conflict and Development – MPhil or MA
This is a two year research master programme, of which three semesters require attendance to class every day, the last semester is reserved for writing the thesis and defending it publicly. This programme invites lecturers and professors from all over the world, and provides good theoretical knowledge.
There is the possibility of doing an internship or writing a master thesis.
Courses can be taken in English and/or Spanish.
For more information: www.epd.uji.es
Master of Arts Program in Peace, Development, Security and International Conflict Transformation – MA
This programme consists of three semesters. Each of them is made up of two months of online course and two months of presence. It is very different from traditional schooling. It offers theoretical courses as well as practical courses, such as first aid training, training with the military, aikido classes, holotropic breathing, theatre of the oppressed or a week at the Native Spirit Camp.
For more information: http://www.uibk.ac.at/peacestudies/ma-program/
This university offers a wide range of programmes and courses including
- Asia Leaders Programme
- Environmental Security and Peace
- Gender and Peace Building
- International Law and Human Rights
- International Law and the Settlement of Disputes
- International Peace Studies
- International Peace Studies, Dual Campus Programme
- Media, Peace and Conflict Studies
- Natural Resources and Peace
- Natural Resources and Sustainable Development
- Peace Education
- Responsible Management and Sustainable Economic Development
Some of them can be taken as semesters or full master programmes.
For more information: http://www.upeace.org/
This programme is a more traditional one year master programme, which bases a lot of its courses and approaches on the theories advanced by Johan Galtung. Students live on campus in a slightly remote castle surrounded by Austrian forest.
For more information: http://www.epu.ac.at/start.html
These are the programmes that I know more in detail. Below you find a list of more universities or institutes.
- Department of Peace Studies, University of Bradford – http://www.bradford.ac.uk/acad/peace/research/centres/
- Heidelberg Institute for International Conflict Research (HIIK) – http://www.hiik.de/
- International Peace Research Institute, Oslo (PRIO) – http://www.prio.no/
- Centre for Peace Studies, University of Tromsø, Norway – http://uit.no/cps
- TRANSCEND Peace University (TPU online), founded by Johan GALTUNG – http://www.transcend.org/tpu/
- Stockholm International Peace Research Institute – http://www.sipri.org/
- Centre for Peace and Reconciliation Studies at Coventry University – http://www.coventry.ac.uk/researchnet/d/224
- Centre for Conflict Studies, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands – http://www.uu.nl/conflictstudies/
- INCORE (International Conflict Research), University of Ulster – http://www.incore.ulst.ac.uk/
- Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of St Andrews, UK – http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/intrel/cpcs/
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu Centre for War and Peace Studies at Liverpool Hope University – http://www.hope.ac.uk/index.php
- Instituto Universitario Gutierrez Mellado – http://www.iugm.es/
- Center for Justice and Peacebuilding of Eastern Mennonite University – http://www.emu.edu/ctp/
- University of Toronto, Trudeau Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies – http://www.trudeaucentre.ca/
- The Centre for Peace Studies at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada – http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/~peace/
- Center for Peacemaking and Conflict Studies at Fresno Pacific University – http://peace.fresno.edu/
- Justice and Peace Studies at the University of St. Thomas, Minnesota – http://www.stthomas.edu/justpeace/
- Kansas Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution at Bethel College – http://www.bethelks.edu/kipcor/
- International Peace and Conflict Resolution, School of International Service, American University – http://www.aupeace.org/
- Peace and Conflict Studies, Conrad Grebel University College, University of Waterloo, Canada – http://grebel.uwaterloo.ca/academic/undergrad/pacs/index.shtml
- Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace and Justice, University of San Diego – http://www.sandiego.edu/peacestudies/ipj/
- Joan B. Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies, University of Notre Dame – http://kroc.nd.edu/
- Peacebuilding, Development and Security Program, Centre for Military and Security Studies, University of Calgary – http://www.ucalgary.ca/pdsp/
- Institute for Conflict Analysis and Resolution (ICAR) at George Mason University – http://icar.gmu.edu/
- Peace Studies at Naropa University – http://www.naropa.edu/academics/undergraduate/peacestudies/index.cfm
- Saybrook Graduate School and Research Center – http://www.saybrook.edu/academics/concentrations.asp?strContent=Social%20Transformation
- Soka University of America’s Pacific Basin Research Center – http://www.soka.edu
- International Christian University, Tokyo, Japan – http://www.icu.ac.jp/index_e.html
- Peace Research Institute, International Christian University, Tokyo, Japan – http://subsite.icu.ac.jp/pri/E/index.html
- Peace and Conflict Studies, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, Japan – http://www.tufs.ac.jp/common/pg/pcs/
- Institute for Peace Science,Hiroshima University – http://www.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/category/index/lang/en/template_id/15/category_id/15/category_child_id/48
- Hiroshima City University, Hiroshima Peace Institute – http://serv.peace.hiroshima-cu.ac.jp/English/index.htm
- Hiroshima Institute for Peace Education – http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/~hipe/indexE.html
- NAGASAKI PEACE INSTITUTE – http://www.nagasaki-heiwa.org/n4/npi.html
- Nagasaki Institute Of Applied Science, Nagasaki Institute for Peace Culture – http://www.nipc.nias.ac.jp/
- International Peace Research Institute, Meiji Gakuin University – http://www.meijigakuin.ac.jp/~prime/
- The Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Sydney – http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/centres/cpacs/about/index.shtml
- Australian Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Queensland, Australia – http://www.uq.edu.au/acpacs/
- Institute for Economics and Peace Sydney – http://www.visionofhumanity.org/peace-initiatives/4/institute-for-economics-and-peace/